odd problems

I'm not sure about the scanner, but I had a similar problem with audio
a couple months ago, on a laptop with Fedora 10. When I first installed
Fedora 10 in November, audio worked fine, but one day it failed after
a set of updates.

In the end, it turned out to be related to my laptop's built-in webcam,
which has an internal microphone. Apparently it's wired up as a USB
device, and in November it was unsupported in the kernel.

A kernel update in December suddenly provided support for the webcam,
at which point it became the primary audio device.  ALSA had hard-wired
the normal sound card to be audio device 0 in /etc/modprobe.conf,, and
when it tried to initialize the device at boot time, the webcam microphone
had already grabbed the spot for audio device 0, and the sound card
initialization failed as a result.

I think I deleted the sound card from /etc/modprobe.conf, and after
rebooting and then updating the audio preferences, sound was
working again.

If the scanner is USB, then maybe its problem is also related to
other USB hardware that only became supported recently.