Backups

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 05:04:34PM +0800, Samuel Baldwin wrote:
> I'm curious to know what people use, and would recommend, as ways to
> manage backups. Specifically, on-site backups, both of large amounts
> of data (in this case, videos for a editing group), and configuration
> files and website data (linux (Debian) server).

Important questions:

How much do you think is a large amount? Tens of gigabytes? Tens
of terabytes?

How many machines are being backed up?

Do you want to restore the whole machine or just have the data
available?

What is your maximum allowable period of unsaved data? (i.e.,
how often do you need to copy new data over to the backup?)

What is your maximum allowable period between the primary
machine failing and your new machine being available?

And how much is this all worth to you?

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.