MythTV and FireWire on Fedora 9? Plugreport reports nothing?

On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 00:58 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Quoting Jarod Wilson <jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org>:
>
> [snip]
> > However, the lack of stuff in dmesg is slightly disturbing... Shortly
> > after the first two lines, there should be (at least) a third, related
> > to device creation, like so:
> >
> > firewire_ohci 0000:0e:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
> > firewire_ohci: Added fw-ohci device 0000:0e:00.0, OHCI version 1.10
> > firewire_core: created device fw0: GUID 00133b010001000f, S800
> >
> > Derek Atkins wrote:
> >> Well, I'm hoping Jarod sees this soon..  He's claimed it works.
> >
> > I still swear it does! ;)
>
> And I believe you!   It's why I did what I did -- I just got two
> HD tuner boxes from RCN purely to plug in via FireWire!

Heh, cool.

> >> But I see no /dev/fw* device, and none of the old firewire tools
> >> seem to work.
> >
> > So yeah, something is falling down. The card is seen, but no device
> > nodes are being created, so there's nothing for the tools to work with.
> > This sounds like a driver bug we've yet to address (at least in the
> > stack that is in the latest F9 kernel).
> >
> >> But the card is seen on the PCI Bus:
> >>
> >> 01:09.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB12LV26 IEEE-1394
> >> Controller (Link)
> >
> > Hrm. Noticed elsewhere that this is reported an ohci 1.0 controller... I
> > had thought pretty much all TI controllers were ohci 1.1, so it would
> > seem this is a fairly rare chipset... Ugh. I'd happily trade you a
> > known-working TI-based ohci 1.1 controller for that one, in order to 1)
> > get you working sooner and 2) investigate why the heck that one isn't
> > working. :)
>
> * grumbles *
>
> I bought this card because in a previous email you said that all TI
> cards were supported!   *sighs*

Until now, the only OHCI cards I knew of that still had issues were the
extremely rare nForce 2 on-board controller and the Apple UniNorth
revision 1 on-board controller (found on the earliest PowerBook
w/FireWire). Thought we'd finally fixed everything else! :(

> But yes!  I'll happily trade you!  I'm in town this week, so tomorrow or
> Saturday I could swap out with you.  I'm in Somerville.  When's a good
> time?

Hm... I live up in Tyngsboro, work in Westford, and I think the furthest
south I was planning to be might be Billerica tomorrow, but I'm not sure
what time yet.

> I've got only Friday and Saturday before I fly away again, so I'd really
> like to get /something/ working before I go..   If it's with this
> card, great.  If it's a swap-out, that works, too!  Either way.

Swap is definitely more sure-fire.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org