Using Amazon's Elastic Cloud EC2 and Rsync to back up data files

Each instance

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 1:55 PM, James Kramer <kramerjm-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> The only problem that I ran into is how to use the ssh commands in
> scripts and cron.  Each time that I run the script, it is necessary to
> interactively respond to the question:
>
>        RSA key fingerprint is cb:79:eb:b5:40:2d:9a:2b:20:47:53:c8:09:4c:54:57.
>
>        Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?
>
>        What is the password:
>
> The RSA fingerprint and IP address change each time that I run the
> script because it creates and terminates an EC2 Instance?each of which
> has its own unique DNS name.

Each EC2 instance is getting a new server key. Perhaps you could
create a server key for it and configure your startup script to replace
the new server key with the one you created, so each instance would
end up using the same server key.

> Another concern that I have is that the 'known-hosts' file which
> stores the host fingerprints will become increasingly large with each
> run of the script.

You could use a dynamic DNS service so each instance will be
accessible via a single DNS name.

GnuPG KeyID: 0xD5C7B5D9 / Email: abreauj-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
GnuPG FP: 72 FB 39 4F 3C 3B D6 5B E0 C8 5A 6E F1 2C BE 99