GNU emacs via ssh

> Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 13:49:13 -0500
> From: Jerry Feldman <gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org>
> Subject: Re: GNU emacs via ssh
> To: Boston Linux and Unix <discuss-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org>
>
> I just installed GNU emacs on my Fedora 10 system and ran the same test,
> and emacs would not even run, but xemacs works fine. So, my solution at
> work will be to grab the xemacs rpms and install xemacs.

Not to say "I told you so," but, well, there it is.

The issue is that when you run ssh with the "-f" there is no valid tty for
emacs to use, and thus it should fail. At some point in the past, I seem
to remember emacs able to detect a condition where it can't get the tty,
and then testing for X11, but I think that code has been removed or moved
to xemacs by the console purists. That may explain why an old ssh example
exists.

> On 01/23/2009 02:22 PM, John Abreau wrote:
>> In the first case, ssh is assigned a tty; in the second case, it isn't.
>> Try adding a "-t" to force tty allocation.

[snip]