Boston Linux Meeting Wednesday, January 21, 2009 Improving online education and documentation for developers

When: January 21, 2009 7PM (6:30PM for Q&A)
Topic: Improving online education and documentation for developers
Moderator: Andy Oram, Senior Editor, O'Reilly Media
Location: MIT Building E51, Room 325  NOTE: Room Change

Andy talks about Praxagora, an API for Project Educational Tools
Hundreds of new software projects spring up every month. Most are free=20
software and are run by volunteers, but big players such as Google,=20
Yahoo!, and Microsoft are now in the same game. Not only do these=20
projects rely on online media (forums, chat, wikis) for documentation=20
and support, but much of it is generated by project members on a=20
volunteer basis. Andy has spent the past several years exploring the=20
strengths and weaknesses of user contributions to software documentation =

and support. In this informal presentation, he'll show the results of a=20
survey and some research on the quality of mailing lists, followed by=20
suggestions for systems that could make better use of free user=20
contributions. We'll then have a free-wheeling discussion that should=20
interest anyone who cares about free software or the success of online=20
software projects. Background for this talk can be found at:=20
http://www.praxagora.com/community_documentation/

For further information and directions please consult the BLU Web site
http://www.blu.org
Please note that there is usually plenty of parking in the E-51 Parking
lot at 2 Amherst St, or on Amherst St.

We will adjourn to the Cambridge Brewery for our after meeting meeting.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846