Low cost 2-port USB KVM

On 01/09/2009 01:06 PM, Derek Martin wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 09:06:21PM -0500, Jerry Feldman wrote:
>  =20
>> 1. The USB cable is too short for the computer so I'm using an extensi=
on =20
>> VGA cable which appears to be the problem. One possible solution is to=
 =20
>> get a new VGA extension or a USB extension.
>>    =20
>
> I assume you already checked, but I have to ask...  Is one of the pins
> bent or broken on one end of the extension cable?  When I've seen
> color tint in the past, that was the culprate.
>
>  =20
I haven't checked. The color tint only occurs at very high resolution.=20
Does not show up at 1280x1024, only at 1680x1050. The cable is ancient,=20
one I've had hanging around for many years. I've decided to get a new=20
KVM because the Belkin has to be disconnected (eg rebooted) every once=20
in a while because it won't switch.
My choice for a replacement is a *Cables To Go 2-Port USB KVM Switch=20
with Audio for $49.99 at Tiger Direct. The reason is that like the=20
IOGear, the USB cable is long enough so that I can plug it into the=20
Thinkpad without an extension, and it has a higher rating. I've seen low =

ratings for the equivalent IOGear technology. I could have gone the=20
easiest route and ordered directly through Staples where my company is=20
automatically billed, but Staples is at least $30 higher than the mail=20
order houses. *

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846