BLU LinkedIn group, Meetup

This is a periodic reminder that BLU has a LinkedIn group. (See a
posting from November 2007 from John Abreau on joining the Facebook
group.) (If you're not familiar, LinkedIn is a social networking site
for professionals.)

Your direct LinkedIn network is supposed to consist of people that
you've worked with before and can vouch for. In contrast, user group
connections are like 2nd level contacts (people you know through other
people). So networking via a user group broadens your network without
violating that principle.

To join, go to:
http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/41383/3CB646132D6B

No one is pre-approved, so it will show your status as pending and
suggest you contact the group manager. You can ignore that. John Abreau
or I will approve your request in a few days to a week.

In other matters, if you'd like to help promote BLU to local people
seeking a Linux/UNIX/open source user group, I suggest joining the
Meetup[1] site and creating a profile mentioning BLU. Then search for
groups on topics related to BLU and sign up to receive notification when
a group starts on your area. For example, the Linux topic in the Newton
area[2]. Your profile comments will then get distributed to people who
have previously signed up for info on that topic. There are a surprising
number of people on Meetup that are unaware of the well established user
groups in this area.

1. http://www.meetup.com/
2. http://linux.meetup.com/cities/us/ma/newton/

  -Tom