credit card security

dan-dChtYZcB954 at public.gmane.org wrote:
> Daughter #4 lost her credit card to scammers MasterCard said that it
> was not possible to stop automatic renewal of magazine subscriptions
> made with a valid card, even if the card was reported stolen at a
> later date as the assumption is that the sale in question was made at
> the beginning time and the recurring renewals are deferred billing,
> not new charges.

That doesn't sound quite right. I would dispute the original charge that
led to the recurring renewals, if indeed it was not authorized. That the
charges are recurring or when or if the card was later stolen should be
irrelevant. Of course if the clock ran out on your time window for
disputing the original charge, then they might still have a case. But if
they took that stance I'd close the card and take my business elsewhere.
I suppose they'll point to the fine print that says your account will
remain open as long as charges keep coming through to that account.

If this is for online purchases, I'd look into credit card companies
that offer one-time-use/one-merchant numbers, such as Discover, or any
card used through PayPal. After finding fraudulent charges on two
different cards this past year, I've switched to using merchant-specific
credit card numbers. Much like the way I use merchant-specific email
addresses. Now if my account data gets leaked, I'll know whose poor
security practices to blame and avoid in the future.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA