Amazon S3 and rsync snapshots?

Hi, Jay.

That's pretty much what I assumed the process would be. The description
doesn't address my two concerns, though:

1. By mounting it as a filesystem and then running rsync on top of that,
rsync sees the s3 filesystem as a "local" filesystem, and therefore as part
of the process of checking if a file needs to be updated, it copies the
entire file from s3 to generate its hash for comparison. Rsync to a remote
system invokes rsync on the remote end to compute the hash,and avoids
the bandwidth usage that the "local" rsync uses.

2. The rsync snapshots process uses hard links to make each daily backup
directory look like a complete filesystem -- daily.0, daily.1,
daily.2, etc. are
all complete filesystems from different days, but files that are the same in
all of these are hard-linked to a single instance, so it doesn't waste storage
space with multiple copies of the same file. Is it possible to do the same
with an s3-based solution?

AIM abreauj / JABBER jabr-iMZfmuK6BGBxLiRVyXs8+g at public.gmane.org / YAHOO abreauj / SKYPE zusa_it_mgr
Email jabr-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9