GUI file managers

> From: Tom Metro <tmetro-blu-5a1Jt6qxUNc at public.gmane.org> Subject: Re: GUI file managers To:
> L-blu <discuss-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org> Message-ID: <495C0969.3000901-5a1Jt6qxUNc at public.gmane.org>
> edwardp-KK0ffGbhmjU at public.gmane.org wrote:
>> > What about LXDE?  http://www.lxde.org/
>>

>    "Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment", is an extremely faster,
>    performing and energy saving desktop environment... LXDE uses less CPU
>    and less RAM. It is especially designed for computers with low
>    hardware specifications...
>
> Is the file manager a separate component that can be used with other
> desktops? I wasn't looking for alternatives to KDE and GNOME (more on
> that in another message).
>

> Another file manager I ran across is Thunar (http://thunar.xfce.org/),
> the default file manager for Xfce. It says it can work with any
> freedesktop.org compliant desktop. Unlike Dolphin it stores its metadata
> in a central database. (That's not necessarily better - I can see pros
> and cons to each.) No mention of saving session state.

PCManFM comes with the LXDE package.

Logged in with the following desktops using Mandriva Linux 2009, I can
access these file managers via their GUI menus:

LXDE:  PCManFM
XFCE:  PCManFM and Thunar
GNOME: PCManFM and Nautilus

I ran "thunar" from a command line (temrinal window) in GNOME, it
launched and I could access the files, however the console window also
displayed the following errors:

> $ thunar
>
> (thunar:16703): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried
> to register 'TspProvider'.
>
> (thunar:16703): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **:
> g_type_add_interface_dynamic: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE
> (instance_type)' failed

It may have been looking for something actually running that is related
to an XFCE login.

But it would appear to be possible to launch any file manager that is
installed, whether it is actually listed on the GUI menu or from a
console window.