apt-get problem

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008, dan moylan wrote:

> two computers running side by side;
>  - both running ubuntu intrepid ibex, but
>        one, a new installation
>  - both with functional internet addresses,
>        connections, nameservers, etc
>  - both with identical /etc/apt/ directories
>        (the old one copied to the new)
>
> apt-get works fine on the old, but not the new,
> e.g. on the new installation:
>
> % apt-get install wine
>
>  Reading package lists...
>  Building dependency tree...
>  Reading state information...
>  E: Couldn't find package wine

Wine appears to be part of Intrepid's Universe set of packages.  Is the
"deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid universe" line
commented out?

The existing system most likely got wine from either a manual install or
wine may have previously been in a different repository.  Apt and dpkg
will still show the package, but it will not recieve any updates if the
universe repository is commented.