Have you used OpenWRT?

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 08:59:43PM -0500, Bill Horne wrote:
> If you're familiar with OpenWRT, please tell me if I could use it to
> create a wireless client using, e.g., the Linksys WRT54* family of
> wireless routers. Since it will be in service a long way from my home,
> I'm also very interested in your opinions about ease-of-use, stability,
> and remote maintenance.

The documentation is your best guide as to the devices it will
work on.

I've got an OpenWRT wireless router sitting here that has been in
continuous service (modulo power outages) for three years; no problems
whatsoever. Installation can be slightly hairy, but after that, everything
can be done through either a web interface or an SSH session. If it had
relatively fixed functionality, I wouldn't hesitate to put one out at
a relative's house.

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.