genisoimage error

dan moylan wrote:
> i've been using mkisofs for years to prepare iso files for
> recording onto cd's and more recently dvd's -- with no
> problems.  i guess mkisofs now points to genisoimage, which
> now gives me the following error, which i have never seen
> before:
>
> % genisoimage: Directories too deep for
>     'cfd/2006/act/117/www/img/col-jbj-job/sav' (7) max is 6.
>
> i went through the man pages and found reference to deep
> directory relocation, but am not sure what that means.  is
> there some easy way around my problem?

Add the option "-iso-level 4" to the command line. The man page says this:

Level 4 officially does not exist but genisoimage  maps  it to
ISO-9660:1999, which is ISO9660 version 2.

and goes on to describe the different limits (including directory
depth). I don't know the implications for interoperability, but I find
it works fine for backups.

Nathan