yet another day in fedora land...

Well, I was about to get divorced from Feroda and perhaps start an
affair with ubuntu... Long story short, my desktop setup just seemed to
get buggier and buggier, with application not running right, windows
freezing up bla bla bla...

So I decided to do the dirty and reinstall fedora 10 from scratch. They
way I got to fedora 10 in the first place was through an upgrade from
fedora 8. What a difference...

It comes down to this basic principle which I should follow from now
on.... Never upgrade, always install. The only think that I can think of
is that there was too much crud from fedora 8 laying about after the
upgrad to fedora 10 that things didn't quite work. It's not so much that
old fc8 rpms were laying about, but fc8 settings and configurations were
left in place instead of running the new fc10 settings. Anyway, a fresh
install of fc10 fixed all that.

And to boot, I was able to get compiz fully working which is the real
cat's meow... If anyone needs assitance on this, here's the URL...

http://miltonpaiva.wordpress.com/2008/11/27/compiz-fusion-gnome-fedora-10-x86_64/

Also not, for those using nivida drivers, you need to add the line

    ModulePath      "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"

in the "Files" section in your xorg.conf

I guess I won't divorce fedora yet... but it was a rough patch there....

Cheers. Steve.