fetchmail problem

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 03:22:59PM -0500, dan moylan wrote:

> though i'm not aware of any system changes i might have
> made, fetchmail, which fetched yesterday, does not do so
> today.
>
> i see the following:
>
>   4 messages for jdm+moylan.us at moylan.us (16100 octets).
>   fetchmail: connection to localhost:smtp [127.0.0.1/25]
>   failed: Connection refused.

Well, that says you are not running a local mail server. Minus
the passwords, what does your fetchmailrc look like? Is it
trying to deliver to a local mail server?

If so, you should start whatever server you stopped. Exim?
Postfix? qmail? sendmail?

> ubuntu 8.10, network tools, shows ports 22, 80, 631, and
> 33829 as open.  do i need to open port 25, and if so, what
> tool do i use to do it?  i fiddled with ufw without success.

It is unlikely you blocked 127.0.0.1: anything. Much more likely
that you don't have the server running there.

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.