Moving a modem requires that a technician visit?

The "technician Visit" is more for their tech support staff than it is a requirement. If you have digital cable, there's no filters to speak of as most all of the pay channels are now digital. The technician makes sure you have the right cable RG-6/U instead of RG-59. They also have the tools to check for cabling issues.

If you can move wires and crimp a cable pretty well, just do it yourself. Just make sure you use the right cables and find the cable to where it was and switch it with the cable to where its going at the point where your cable comes in the house. Try it, if it doesn't work, put it back and call comcast.

I've moved my modem all around and never had a problem, let alone even thinking about calling comcast about it.

Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 10:51:34 -0500
From: "Chris Robichaud" <crobicha-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
Subject: Moving a modem requires that a technician visit?
To: L-blu <discuss-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org>

While some renovations occur where I am living I have had to relocate my
modem to a different room in the house. I thought it would be as simple as
plugging it into a different coax connection but apparently not. According
to Comcast they have to send a technician out to "activate" the new
connection, and it will take only a few minutes once he/she arrives. Does
anyone know what they are going to do, and if I can save myself some time
and just do it myself?

More info: The modem is a Motorola Surfboard and after powering on, the
receive light blinks for a second, then stays steady, then the send light
blinks forever.

Thanks
Chris