parent-conferencing

My xmas present to my parents was to get us both webcams so that they could
actually see their grandchildren a lot more often.

So now I'm trying to figure out what the best software to use is, and what
sort of infrastructure I need.  I'm not too keen on using the various chat
protocols (MSN, Yahoo), since (from my understanding) they force you to use a
lower resolution video feed, and I also don't like the idea of depending on a
third-party service (and servers) for something I should be able to do myself.
 And jabber, which would allow me to run my own server, doesn't support video.

What I have to work with: 2 Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 webcams, a "server"
(linux, obviously) in my house that is always on, and two linux "client" boxes
that will be attached to the cameras (I finally forced my dad to use linux
after his windows installation went belly-up and had spyware for the umpteenth
time, so now as long as his internet is working I can fix/configure stuff on
his computer remotely).

My research so far leads me to believe that the video conferencing is probably
the way to go.  I'm trying to find the right balance of control and
convenience; in other words, I'd like to not depend on third-party servers,
but I don't have endless time to tinker like I did in college.  So I'll sign
us both up for ekiga or Free World Dialup if I have to, but I'm not adverse to
setting up Astrisk if it's not too hairy.

I only need computer-to-computer "calling", so I'm thinking this shouldn't be
too hard, right?  Has anyone done something similar, and have suggestions,
either on the "server" aspect or the client side (mythphone, vlc, skype, etc)

Thanks,
Matt