Ubuntu Ibex second monitor problem

Brendan Kidwell wrote:
> I concur. When I was setting up my desktop at work in the past year... with
> a 9 year old Thinkpad as an extra terminal, I quickly conluded (but
> neglected to rigorously PROVE) that GNOME gets really pissy really quick if
> you try to run two instances on the same host in the same user context.
>
> My solution was to create a "kidwellb2" user, log in the second terminal as
> that, and mount ~kidwellb to ~kidwellb2/mnt/kidwellb via sshfs. (Used sshfs
> instead of simple symlink because I wanted to avoid any user and group
> onwership/permissions issues.)

I'm not sure how to do that.  I get the gdm login screen on my laptop
screen, I log in, and I get screen 0 on my laptop and screen 1 on my TV
(if it's hooked up).  I only log in once.  I think what you're
describing is creating an X session on one computer from another, which
isn't what I'm doing.

> Incidentally, you mentioned problems running nvidia-settings as non-root and
> "sudo" didn't fix it. I noticed the silent failure too (grr...) but it
> worked fine for me using sudo. -- I upgraded my this same desktop to Ubuntu
> 8.10 on Friday, 28 Nov.

Maybe the permissions on my xorg.conf is different than yours.  Either
way, I have a solution to that problem, anyway.

Thanks.