Ubuntu Ibex second monitor problem

bostonlinuxandunix wrote:

> This is a complete shot in the dark, but maybe the problem is two
> separate instances of Gnome fighting over the same config files?

I concur. When I was setting up my desktop at work in the past year... with
a 9 year old Thinkpad as an extra terminal, I quickly conluded (but
neglected to rigorously PROVE) that GNOME gets really pissy really quick if
you try to run two instances on the same host in the same user context.

My solution was to create a "kidwellb2" user, log in the second terminal as
that, and mount ~kidwellb to ~kidwellb2/mnt/kidwellb via sshfs. (Used sshfs
instead of simple symlink because I wanted to avoid any user and group
onwership/permissions issues.)

Incidentally, you mentioned problems running nvidia-settings as non-root and
"sudo" didn't fix it. I noticed the silent failure too (grr...) but it
worked fine for me using sudo. -- I upgraded my this same desktop to Ubuntu
8.10 on Friday, 28 Nov.