F10 Install from HD

On Nov 28, 2008, at 10:15 AM, jbk wrote:

> Jerry Feldman wrote:

> Well I've installed F10 in a dual boot arrangement with my
> original F7 install. I did not reinstall grub because I have
>  numerous edits to the server configurations that I
> normally due first using the old configs. I usually edit the
> boot lines in grub to boot the new distro but I am unable to
> boot for some reason, I think having to do with the disk
> label, but not sure. The boot hangs while reading the kernel
> line.

What's the last text you see on screen?

> Could someone post their boot lines from grub for F10?

Doubt this one will help, since its a software RAID setup...

title Fedora (2.6.27.5-117.fc10.x86_64)
         root (hd0,0)
         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.x86_64 ro root=/dev/md1
rhgb quiet
         initrd /initrd-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.x86_64.img

How 'bout instead, you post yours, maybe whatever is wrong will jump
out at someone else. :)

> The fstab in F10 uses the UUID for the root partition
> instead of the disk LABEL, what's up with that?

UUID has a better chance of being unique across multiple drives than
LABEL does. The main argument against LABEL is that if you have to
machines, each with an install using LABEL, then try to put both
drives in the same machine, you don't know which disk is which
anymore, bad things ensue, etc...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org