Thou shalt not question Comcast

Richard Chonak wrote:
> It figures.
>
> Comcast blocked my outgoing SMTP traffic a few days ago and sent a
> notice to a comcast.net mail address I don't read, so I didn't find out
> until the outgoing messages started bouncing after five days.
>
> The message claimed that their anti-spam system had supposedly detected
> spam from an infected system here -- not very likely, since I don't run
> Windows.   I called Comcast to question their claim that my system was a
> spam source, and the tech refused to back up the claim with any evidence.
>
> An hour later, he called me back to say they had port-scanned my system
> and were warning me about a server on port 22 (!).   I haven't been
> harassed by a corporation before, but this sounds like it.

Same thing happened to me a few months ago (search the archives of this list).
 Except I dragged it out a few days by convincing them to take the port 25
block off a couple times.  But ultimately the same outcome.  I ignored their
warning about running web, mail, and ssh servers (oh, the horrors!), and while
I was out of town on business travel, they shut off my internet access for
"abuse".

I ended up buying some hosting on 1and1 for my web site, and using dyndns'
mailhop service to get my mail.

Still makes me mad.

As soon as it's convenient for me, I'm switching to the lesser of two evils
(Verizon FIOS).

Matt