Comcast/Mythtv (OT?)

Bill Bogstad wrote:
> This is slightly off-topic, but does involve Linux...

I'd say it is adequately on topic for this list.

> I've got a KnoppMyth Linux system running with two analog tuners
> connected to my Comcast cable with a MediaMVP settop box for display
> purposes.
> My worry is that this is a sign that they want to get rid
> of their analog feed entirely...

Undoubtedly. As another poster pointed out, the cable companies don't
like having to retransmit the same stations in multiple formats. (SD
analog, SD digital, HD digital.)

> * If you have a QAM tuner on Comcast in the local area (Cambridge
> would be best), what channels do you see in the clear?

I have an HDHR, but haven't done a scan recently. My recollection was
that I picked up all the local broadcast stations, plus a small subset
of the cable-only stations in clear QAM.

Note that to use the output of the HDHR with mvpmc, you'll need to
transcode the audio from AC3 to MP3. Supposedly this can be done fairly
quickly and painlessly.

When I get some time over the winter holidays, I plan to properly deploy
my HDHR and I'll report back what is visible. (I'll update the BLU wiki.)

> * What are my options for encrypted QAM and Mythtv?  (Note: I'm
> currently SD only and HD would be nice, but not a requirement.)

If SD is good enough, keep your analog tuners. You'll need to pair them
up with cable company provided set-top boxes and an IR blaster to change
channels. Unfortunately some variation on this setup is the only viable
option currently.

Ideally, we need to increase consumer awareness of this problem. Cable
companies are intent on making cable ready TVs and other devices
useless, and throwing us back to the dark ages of the 80's. There's no
really good reason why the extended-basic cable channels you are paying
for aren't provided as clear QAM. But to convince the cable companies of
that, may take a lot of us canceling our subscriptions and telling them
that was the reason.

> * Anybody else see this insert in their Comcast bill?

What did it look like? I see a notice about the price increases
happening in December.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro