non video console output

Stephen Adler wrote:
> P.S. I've looked into the kvm over ip and the cost is very high, about
> $750 for a 4 port unit...

You can cobble together a solution using a KVM ($100) plus a console
extender, like the IOGEAR PCPortal (GCN1000, $250 ~ $300):

http://www.iogear.com/product/GCN1000/

It's like a VNC server appliance. This gives you the added flexibility
of upgrading the KVM to one with more ports in the future. The PCPortal
requires client software on the controlling machine (just like IP-based
KVMs). They have a Windows version and a Java version, which they claim
works on Linux. (It also supports multiple users, SSL, and virtualized
USB (Windows only).)

Though unless you're going to be loading operating systems, changing
BIOS settings, or troubleshooting kernel bugs remotely, you can probably
get by with a no cost VNC and/or SSH solution, as has already been
suggested.

For the home setup you described, you can use a traditional KVM plus a
passive wired console extender. In fact if you're only spanning 10 or 20
feet, you don't even need the console extender. But this approach does
require running K, V, and M wiring, or using dedicated CAT5 wiring with
converters on either end, rather than your existing Ethernet (wired or
wireless). For example:

$120 (KVM extender) PS/2 and VGA balun Kit
  Mouse/Keyboard/VGA over Cat5
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-11346

That's for analog VGA. There are others that handle DVI.

I noticed in the picture for that device that it looks like the
converter boxes have two RJ14 jacks, which seems to imply it requires
two CAT5 cables. I couldn't confirm that from the product description.
Other devices require just one cable, like this $200 Minicom Mini KVM
Extender:
http://www.kvm-switches-online.com/0dt23008a.html

You can also pair that up with a "reverse" KVM, that would permit having
a second keyboard/monitor/mouse next to the server, and not have to move
cables around:

$73 BELKIN OmniView SOHO F1D201 2-port Reverse KVM Switch
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16817107305

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro