non video console output

I'm looking into IPMI and it looks like there are only two motherboards
which support it. The intel server motherboards S3XXX S5XXX etc. and
the super micro motherboards, not sure what the model names are. Is this
correct? The IPMI looks to be like a special add on to the motherboards, not
like I can go out and buy an IPMI card and plug it into any motherboard and
away I go... Is that right?

Cheers. Steve.