Boston Linux and Unix InstallFest XXX1 Saturday November 22, 2008

On 11/18/2008 02:01 PM, Shawn Tinsley wrote:
> Adding my $0.02, Red Hat 9 is also obsolete in terms of the kernel, ass=
uming one hasn't updated their box. The 2.4 kernel has a number of issues=
 that were resolved in 2.6 in terms of memory management, specifically ha=
ndling page caching, etc. So from an under the hood perspective moving to=
 a more up-to-date version would would have knock on benefits no matter t=
he gui.

>  =20
The major distros have pretty well gotten it right according their=20
models. But, the one thing I would like to see is a continuous upgrade=20
(well Gentoo does this to some extent). What I mean is that you start=20
with Distro Version a. Along the way your system is upgraded=20
continuously such that when Version b. is officially released, you=20
already have it. rom a pure support point of view it would be a=20
nightmare. There are certainly holes in my thought here. Take something=20
like KDE. Today, version a. might have KDE 3.x, and version b. might=20
have KDE 4. Could the KDE changeover be made seamless. I could argue=20
both for and against this approach, but the bottom line is to allow the=20
end user to maintain a relatively current system without having to do=20
something special. In the past, my experience with SuSE was that you had =

to perform an install with the new version (from media or online), with=20
Ubuntu, it was a click on a button on a working system. I don't know how =

Fedora is handling this.=20

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846