Ubuntu or Debian or other on an iMac G5?

I have an iMac with a 1.8GHz G5 processor and a dead power supply which will
hopefully be rectified before Saturday (the Install Fest).

My wife wants to resume using OS X on it but I would prefer to install
Debian or a derivative on a second partition in a dual-boot configuration. I
have a lot of experience with Ubuntu (and not Debian) on x86-based
computers, so I'm leaning towards choosing Ubuntu, but the installation
process looks like it could be a bit daunting
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCKnownIssues . I haven't investigated Debian
much, but it seems like their support for PowerPC is more official and less
casual than Ubuntu's support.

Can anyone share their experiences installing Debian or Ubuntu or any other
flavor of Linux on a G4 or G5-based personal computer? Any recommendations?

(If you don't see me at the Install Fest, I didn't get the replacement power
supply on time and/or I couldn't arrang transportation of the computer for
Saturday.)