Windows virtualization and Linux

Jerry Feldman-2 wrote:

> Good post Mark. Certainly, vendors like Microsoft would like to restrict
> the use of their software. Years ago, most software was licensed where
> you had the right to use the software for a fixed period of time, and
> you had to renew that license otherwise the software license would
> expire...

I haven't thought much about the rental-like agreements Jerry describes, but
I suppose if everyone's up front about it, it's fair enough...

But the enderhanded BS that goes into today's EULA is nuts -- I agree with
both of you. I have in my possession a Thinkpad that I purchased with
Windows XP and a broken Dell laptop she purchased with Windows XP. Right now
I'm running "pirated" Windows XP on my home-built "media center" computer
and in a virtual machine under Ubuntu on the Thinkpad. I consider myself
fully licensed and it's actually a point of pride that after being both
FOSS-naive and money-poor in college I'm completely legit with media and
software -- as far as my definition of 'legit' goes.

Likewise, the mere act of liberating iTunes purchases from their DRM (see
'hymn') should be considered perfectly legitimate Fair Use. What you do
after you liberate them is between you and your conscience and the vendor.