Linux, what are our objectives?

I agree.  Check out the amount of storage you are using, swap and
memory.  Try to have enough
real memory to not NEED to use swap, but make sure your swap is 'big
enough'.  For me, I put
about 2x memory or so into swap.  Things do grind to a halt if there
isn't enough memory and swap
combined.  Memory is cheap, but still make sure you have enough swap.

I have a machine that can only do 512M memory, and I still put in a 2G
swap area, because it is
so 'limited'.  Even this 1GHz machine still runs nicely, most of the time.