xorg.conf help needed!

As a battle hardened veteran of XFree86, I can tell you that there are two
issues to setting up xorg.conf

(1) The capability of the display
(2) The range/resolution modes of the video card.

The first thing you need to do is (I forget the procedure, but google
should help) is to run X or one of its tools to probe and display the
possible resolutions of the display card can handle. (They may be printed
in the log file).

Then, you pick the best match of compatible modes that both the display
card and the monitor can handle. Once you have a match, work on getting
that setting to work, otherwise, you are just wasting time guessing at
something that may never work.

If your video card does not handle the resolution you want, look around at
places like Microcenter for their cheap AGP cards. Chances are you can
google for supported modes on the cards and, of course, their support on
Linux, and find one that supports the best resolution of your TV.

Good luck!