Virtualizing Windows on Ubuntu

On 11/14/2008 01:12 PM, Matthew Gillen wrote:
> Better to sidestep the whole thing.  Unless your apps use .NET (a
> distressingly common occurrence nowadays), you're better off just using=
 wine.
>  It'll perform better, use less memory, etc.
> </rant>
>
>  =20
There are some applications that run on Windows and not on WINE. One=20
reason I went to Virtualbox is that my wife likes to subscribe to the=20
Big Brother feeds (ugh). While the feeds require RealPlayer 10 (which=20
works natively), the authentication requires MSIE. While MSIE also works =

well under WINE (and crossover office), RealPlayer 10 and later do not.  =

The only way I was able to set it up for her on my laptop was to install =

VMWare (at the time), then subsequently Virtualbox. However, she got an=20
older laptop that someone rebuilt for her, but I like to keep Windows on =

mine more as a proof of concept than anything else.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846