netpbm problems with cygwin on vista

I am having problems with the image manipulation programs
in the netpbm package running under Cygwin on a MS Vista system.

The images are getting mangled in a rather odd way.
Instead of being treated as binaries, some (but not all)
of the netpbm programs are changing LFs to CRLFs as if
the files were text instead of binaries.

I have not found anything useful on google
and, since I find it difficult to believe
that no one else has had this problem, I am
wondering what I might be doing wrong.

For whatever reason, the problem seems specific to Cygwin on Vista
(and, unfortunately, I must deal with Vista in this case).

Thanks,
--
R. Luoma