Linux InstallFest XXXI - Dual Boot and extra hard drive

On 11/12/2008 01:58 PM, Gary Johnson wrote:
> 1)
> Would it be okay to bring my existing Windows XP Pro Machine and have i=
t made into a dual boot machine at the next Install fest?

>  =20
Certainly. That is how we normally do it. Make sure you have a monitor,=20
keyboard and mouse. We rarely have any available.
> 2)
> Is it reasonable to expect help with setting up a new 500 gig disk as 1=
/2 linux and 1/2 windows
>  =20
Yes, but don't expect any Windows experts.
> 3)
> Could I entice someone to come to my house in Charlestown with Free Bee=
r and Food to help me?
> I just want to skip RTFM for startup.
>  =20
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>
> I wrote my first CYGWIN shell script in 10 minutes, it took me a day to=
 figure out you needed a . in front of it to get it to execute.
> I just spent half a day trying to make an 8 Gig flash drive into a boot=
able Ubuntu.  That did not work.
>  =20
Linux and Unix systems will search the $PATH to find an executable=20
(including scripts). Usually, the current directory is not included=20
because of well documented hacks. So, when you type a command name, it=20
will only search the $PATH. To run something from any directory not in=20
$PATH you need the full path (beginning with /) or a relative path=20
beginning with ./. $HOME and ~ are essentially full paths.

=20

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846