Need help with Debian package management - problem solved

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 14:59 -0500, Dan Ritter wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 02:55:04PM -0500, Bill Horne wrote:
> >
> > >What are you trying to do, now?
> > >
> > Now, I'm trying to install Etch on a Dell Dimension 4600C which has an
> > Intel 82865G graphics chipset. I don't know if the latest release
> > contains the driver(s), but assuming it does not, I need these questions
> > answered:
>
> Etch has these Intel video drivers:
>
> xserver-xorg-video-i740
> xserver-xorg-video-i810
> xserver-xorg-video-intel
>
> The last two of those should both support the 865G.
>
> > 1. Will Intel's drivers work under xorg software, or must I switch to
> > XFree86?
>
> x.org.
>
> > 2. Will I need the AGPGART kernel module?
>
> Possibly, but if so...
>
> > 3. Must I build the Intel and/or AGPGART parts from source?
>
> No, they'll be supplied by the X driver package.
>
> -dsr-

Dan, thanks for your help: I (finally) figured out that the i810 driver
won't work on this machine. It came with Debian Etch 40R5, so I was
already trying to use it, but it doesn't like the Dimension 4600C.

What _did_ work was switching to the xserver-xorg-video-intel driver. I
tried to compile the i915 source from the Intel webside, but it kept
erroring out.

The last thing I did was to simply install the new driver from a Debian
package: for the benefit of those doing Google searches in the future,
here are the details.

I did "apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel"

Then, I changed the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to use the new driver:

Section "Device"
  Identifier "Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller"
#	Driver		"i810"
        Driver          "intel"
        VideoRam        65536
	BusID		"PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

... and after I restarted GDM, now I can use up to 1280x1280 resolution.

Bill

answer