improving dynamic DNS

While using dynamic DNS for a non-critical project where I was
monitoring the accessibility of the system connected via the dynamic IP,
I noticed that the system went offline, then a while later came back.
But after further investigation determined that it hadn't came back, it
was just that the IP got assigned to another customer at the ISP, and
the dynamic DNS never got updated because the system was down.

This is of course completely expected, but got me thinking that there
really ought to be a better mechanism for handling dynamic DNS. One
option might be having the dynamic DNS provider periodically expire the
IP address and retarget the host name to some unroutable address if it
hasn't heard from the host. (Like a watchdog timer.)

Another option might have the dynamic DNS provider use some protocol to
periodically query the host on the dynamic IP address and ask it for
some secrete token that was established when the IP address was set. If
the provider fails to get the right token back, it again updates the DNS
to point to an unroutable address.

For this project I happen to be using DynDNS. As far as I can see it
doesn't support anything like the above. Does anything know of a dynamic
DNS provider that does?

I remember a long time ago when I was using a mail server on a dial-up
connection. I didn't use dynamic DNS or otherwise make my IP address
public. For my mail, I used ETRN to trigger mail to be sent from my
ISP's MX to the local server. One day right after I connected I received
a pile of mail for some other domain (this is back before anti-relay
rules were common), who apparently was using dynamic DNS and had a
public MX record pointing to their dynamically connected host. A pretty
risky thing to do...

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro