Supporting *unix* beyond Linux and Mac

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, markw-FJ05HQ0HCKaWd6l5hS35sQ at public.gmane.org wrote:

> As you probably know, I've been posting and asking for beta testers, I'm
> developing a site that has a software component that must be run.
>
> I currently support Mac, Linux, and Windows. I'm pretty sure that *any*
> variant of unix could be supported, but there are a lot, netbsd, openbsd,
> freebsd, etc.
>
> Does anyone have a good argument about which to support if I can only
> support one?

If you can only support one Unix environment, support Posix, since that is
very widely supported and will rarely require you to make involuntary
updates to your software to accomodate new versions.

Admittedly, Linux is not 100% Posix compliant, but you may not be using
the non-compliant features.

Daniel Feenberg