simple FTP tools to create FTP account on linux

Dave Peters wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I need to setup FTP account. Is there any simple ftp tool to create single
> directory and user accounts and this doesn't need to be as root. FileZilla
> Server/ Client is simple one but it is only available for Windows.
>
> I don't have any problem to create ftp user and lock the directory.

If you're asking how to set up an ftp server, you'll need root permissions to
start the server, since FTP listens on a low well-known port.

Two pretty standard ones are vsftpd (http://vsftpd.beasts.org/) and proftpd
(http://www.proftpd.org/).   If you don't want to use system accounts for your
users, then vsftp has a howto on 'virtual' users (on my box, it's in
/usr/share/doc/vsftpd-2.0.6/EXAMPLE/VIRTUAL_USERS/README)

HTH,
Matt