My email habits (and you can too.)

Dan Ritter-2 wrote:

> I got into an offlist conversation about what I think of as
> normal amounts of email, and what I do to cope.
>
> If you aren't interested in how I handle large volumes of email,
> feel free to delete now...

Another tip I'd like to add is to use RSS feeds and a feed reader wherever
possible.

Any information resource that can be viewed as a series of posted items on a
time line (podcast, broadcast news feed, forum threads) I am much more
comfortable reading in Google Reader than in my mail client, so that's
exactly what I do! Anything left that is delivered to me by email should
only be personal correspondence with people and reports, receipts, and
notifications sent specifically to me by online services.

So in other words, when I'm in Google Reader I expect to see broadcast and
many-to-many style media and when I'm in my email, I expect to see items
that are only for me.

You can view the BLU mailing lists as RSS feeds by accessing the Nabble
gateway the BLU site links to. Subscribe to "new threads" to see a list of
new topics as they are created, and "new messages" to see all new messages,
whether they're starting a new topic or not. In order to post, you must be
subscribed to the BLU list VIA EMAIL (optionally with new message delivery
via email disabled), and you can post new messages from the Nabble web
interface.

For other forums that are not already RSS-accessible, MailBucket provides a
convenient and free email -> RSS feed gateway.