Green Graphics Adapter Recommendation

Bob - BLU wrote:
> I have a Linux server that needs a graphics adapter.  It will spend
> most of it's time displaying an X login window, and the rest of the
> time displaying an X session while maintenance occurs.  No games
> here.  But I expect to be running a few virtual machines under
> VirtualBox or VMWare.  So I'm looking for a graphics adapter than can
> handle that (most any), and not chew up much power as it spends its
> life displaying the login window.
>
> The motherboard has a PCI 2.0 x16 slot for an adapter.  I was
> thinking an NVidia based card as they seem to have the best drivers
> (proprietary is acceptable here).
>
> Any recommendations for a 'green' card?

I just bought a nice, cheap, low-end pcie2.0 graphics card for a box I
built a couple of months ago:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102724

It's pretty green, since it doesn't have a fan (cools by heatsink only)
and thus uses less power.

2 caveats though:

1) it might be hard to find (Newegg no longer sells it), and

2) not sure how the Linux support is for this; I used it for our Windows
desktop

HTH,

DR