Wireless setup on home LAN

[This is not a short post/request, so I'll say it here: thanks for
your time if you choose to read this]

I've got a home LAN fronted by a Linksys BEFSR41 connected to my cable
modem.  Behind it I've got several machines connected via two
different hubs, and everything works well.  Since everything is
working properly, of course I figured I'd fool with it.

I'm trying to add a wireless router, a Linksys WRT54G.  The goal is
simply to add wireless capability to this network.  I'm running into
problems.  I've got the WRT54G set up in "Router" mode, and have set
up WEP in the wireless section of the on-line config.  The main setup
is for receiving network information via DHCP on the WAN interface,
and I've set up a static IP for the internal interface.  I've disabled
DHCP on this router, as the BEFSR41 is running DHCP and I don't want
conflicts.  I may be mistaken, but this should still provide clients
connecting via wireless with the ability to configure via DHCP.  So
far I have two ethernet cables going into the WRT54G, one in the WAN
interface and one in one of the LAN interfaces.  Each of these cables
is connected to the hub connected to the BEFSR41 - is this a mistake?

The problem is in getting my laptop (and my wife's) to get a
connection that works, using Fedora (9 & 6, respectively).  I can get
Wireless Assistant to give what *looks* like a connection, and I can
get an IP assigned if I choose a static address, but I can't ping to
anything (including internal servers).  Here's output from wlassistant:

    Loaded application options.
    All interfaces: eth0, sit0, wlan0, wmaster0
    Wireless interface(s): wlan0
    Permissions checked.
    DHCP Client: dhclient
    All executables found.
    scan: /sbin/iwlist wlan0 scan
    Networks found: 2
    ACTION: CONNECT.
    Running DHCP client found.
    kill_dhcp: /sbin/dhclient -r wlan0
    No pre-connection command specified.
    iwconfig_set: /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 mode managed channel 2 key
restricted xxxxxxxxxx essid cerberos
    iwconfig_ap: /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 ap 00:1A:70:82:0F:D0
    ifconfig_manual: /sbin/ifconfig wlan0 192.168.1.193 netmask
255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255
    resolv.conf: domain the-leveys.us
    resolv.conf: nameserver 192.168.1.80
    resolv.conf: nameserver 4.2.2.1
    route_add: /sbin/route add default gw 192.168.1.1
    ==>stderr: SIOCADDRT: File exists
    No post-connection command specified.
    CONNECTION FAILED.
    disconnect: /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 mode managed key off ap off essid off
    Application options saved.
    Kernel socket closed.

Here's what happens with DHCP:

    Loaded application options.
    All interfaces: eth0, sit0, wlan0, wmaster0
    Wireless interface(s): wlan0
    Permissions checked.
    DHCP Client: dhclient
    All executables found.
    scan: /sbin/iwlist wlan0 scan
    Networks found: 2
    Network settings updated.
    ACTION: CONNECT.
    Running DHCP client found.
    kill_dhcp: /sbin/dhclient -r wlan0
    No pre-connection command specified.
    iwconfig_set: /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 mode managed channel 2 key
restricted xxxxxxxxxx essid cerberos
    iwconfig_ap: /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 ap 00:1A:70:82:0F:D0
    ifconfig_dhcp: /sbin/dhclient wlan0
    Running DHCP client found.
    kill_dhcp: /sbin/dhclient -r wlan0
    CONNECTION FAILED.
    disconnect: /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 mode managed key off ap off essid off
    Application options saved.
    Kernel socket closed.

I'm not surprised that the second didn't work given that I can't seem
to get beyond that router.  Using network configuration
gives similar results.  Using DHCP:

    Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
        SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.

Using static IP:
    (Same error, but claims to be "active" and connected)

In either case, using a static IP ifconfig shows that the IP is
associated with the interface.  I cannot, however, ping any machine at
all.  I can ping the assigned address.

Has anyone out there done this before?  What am I missing/doing wrong?