HDTV storage needs

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 09:30 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Jarod Wilson <jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> writes:
>
> > Verizon's FiOS TV services has gone the converter box route. I've got
> > two of them, long been meaning to actually hook one into my myth setup
> > (its basically a very tiny bare-bones motorola cable box), but 99% of
> > what I really actually care about watching is in unencrypted qam, and
> > now I have the hd-pvr to hook up instead...
>
> How stable is the myth support for the hd-pvrs?

Its supposed to be pretty solid now, so long as you lock the output
resolution of your cable box to 720p (i.e., have the cable box scale
1080i stuff to 720p), because there's still some issues with re-encoding
interlaced streams. This *might* be resolved shortly though, Janne is
rewriting parts of the driver's buffer handling, which may help here...

> Doesn't it require using myth trunk?

Yes, and support is not likely to be backported to 0.21, as it requires
database schema updates, which would screw with the upgrade path to
0.22...

> I'm a little loathe to run bleeding-edge software but I
> really am looking forward to using hd-pvrs.

svn trunk mythtv is generally pretty stable anymore, and when it isn't,
its usually fixed rather quickly. I ran trunk for the better part of 6
months before 0.21 was released, never had any issues. Due to lack of
time, I've simply stuck with 0.21 since it was released, but do plan to
go trunk Real Soon Now.

Nb: as soon as Janne gives me the thumbs up, I fully intend to patch the
hd pvr driver into the Fedora kernels.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org