Re: Worst Linux component ever: NetworkManager

 Robert La Ferla wrote:
> The NetworkManager is the most annoying piece of Linux software I have
> ever encountered.  What genius programmed this piece of trash?  More
> importantly, how did it get into some distros?  It does not support
> static IP addresses!  Even if you set a static IP, it just ignores it
> and uses DHCP instead.  So, can I just uninstall it and just go back
> to the normal way of setting an IP statically or via dhcp?  I'm using
> Foresight (rPath)...
AFAIK, Network manager is designed more for mobile users. While I have
had some problems with it in the past, on my laptop, I can automatically
connect to my work via WPA-PSK, home (WEP-128), MIT, JABR, and virtually
any hot spot. It is not designed for a static IP. In that case use the
manual connection.

I used to use the profile manager on SuSE, where I did have static IP
addresses. Using a profile (SCPM), you have a different preset profile
for each site. One of the advantages was at HP I used a proxy server for
the web, and and scpm could store that proxy.

--
Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]>
Treasurer