Random lockups

 The recent thread on seemingly-random crashes by Jim KR got me thinking;
events of the past 24 hours or so got me typing.

My desktop machine at home was having lockup problems.  Not that the
machine would self-cycle or reboot; it would freeze. The screen would
still display, the power was still on, but it would be completely
unresponsive to any input.  I would need to forcibly restart the machine
itself.  There were no errors, nothing written to the log files, no clue
that I could pursue.  More often than not it would happen when I wasn't
even sitting at the machine.

For quite a while I thought it was the graphics system.  I was using an
ATI Rage Pro 9600 card, and it *seemed* that it was when I was using the
card-specific drivers (supplied by ATI or installed via Livna) that the
freezes would happen.  This conclusion may have been aided by
circumstance; running graphics-heavy applications seemed to increase the
frequency that this would happen.  Still, at most it was happening every
few weeks or so.  Sometimes it would go for many weeks without an incident.

Eventually, I thought to upgrade the video card, and got an nVidia 7600.
    When I took out the old card, I found that the installed fan was
almost seized.  "Aha!" said I - this must be a heat issue.  I cleaned
out quite a bit of dust from the case, made sure airflow was better, and
made more of a point of monitoring the temperature.  I had two more
freezes, both when the room got VERY hot this summer, and it seemed the
conclusion was correct.  I took additional airflow steps to keep things
cool.

And yet in the 12-hour period between 7pm last night and 7am this
morning, I experienced 4 more freezes.  The machine was cool.  It gets
air.  Memtest86 says my memory is fine.  But I'm back to the graphics
conclusion.  I've been editing photos using gimp.  Two of the freezes
were when trying to select/move files in Thunar file manager.  Those two
actions precipitating a failure, and four failures in 12 hours, seem too
much of a coincidence.

Clearly I'm tickling something, but I have no idea what.  Short of
ripping the  thing apart and replacing each part individually (way too
expensive for me right about now) does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
  -Don

believed to be clean.