Re: port knocking

 On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 11:59 -0400, Tom Metro wrote:
> Anyone have a favorite tool they've used to implement port knocking or a
> similar stealth access scheme? (I have a few tools bookmarked, but would
> like to hear of first hand experiences.)

I've never used port knocking, but I've heard knockd is pretty good.

Also, remember that knocking is roughly equivalent to sending passwords
cleartext with a little amount of stegonagraphy. Anybody sitting in the
middle can read what ports you knock to get in, so you should probably
have at least one other (stronger) authentication method in addition to
knocking. Port knocking also doesn't perform reverse authentication, so
you have no way to verify that the server you're connecting to is the
server you think it is.

If you're thinking of using port knocking to hide a locked down sshd, it
can't make it less secure, but I wouldn't use it to hide telnet.

--
David Eric Mandelberg / dseomn
http://eth0.is-a-geek.org/