SOLVED: Problem upgrading memory on Dell Inspiron 5100

 On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 9:08 AM, Greg Rundlett <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Though the page doesn't explain what would happen if you tried. Presumably
>> the BIOS updater would prohibit the upgrade. So if it now works, that
>> implies that Dell fixed the updater to do what it needs to do.

I'm at least one proof that you can update a A06 BIOS directly to A32
BIOS on the Dell Inspiron 1100 or 5100 (Note that the changelog is
identical for both models, and they have the same BIOS)

With the A32 BIOS, you /can/ run 2GB of memory in a Dell Inspiron
5100, even though Dell or Crucial will not tell you that.

I'm writing this message running on 2GB of memory.  Yay.

I bought and installed 2 x Transcend 1GB 200-Pin DDR SO-DIMM DDR 333
(PC 2700) Laptop Memory.  With the A32 BIOS, it worked just fine.
This memory is definitely 2.5V which is what the specs for the system
call for.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208015

relevant output from
$ sudo dmidecode

Handle 0x0000, DMI type 0, 20 bytes
BIOS Information
        Vendor: Dell Computer Corporation
        Version: A32
        Release Date: 10/18/2004
        Address: 0xF0000
        Runtime Size: 64 kB
        ROM Size: 576 kB
[snip]
Handle 0x1000, DMI type 16, 15 bytes
Physical Memory Array
        Location: System Board Or Motherboard
        Use: System Memory
        Error Correction Type: None
        Maximum Capacity: 2 GB
        Error Information Handle: Not Provided
        Number Of Devices: 2

Handle 0x1100, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
Memory Device
        Array Handle: 0x1000
        Error Information Handle: Not Provided
        Total Width: 64 bits
        Data Width: 64 bits
        Size: 1024 MB
        Form Factor: DIMM
        Set: None
        Locator: DIMM_A
        Bank Locator: Not Specified
        Type: DDR
        Type Detail: Synchronous
        Speed: 266 MHz (3.8 ns)
        Manufacturer: Not Specified
        Serial Number: Not Specified
        Asset Tag: Not Specified
        Part Number:

Handle 0x1101, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
Memory Device
        Array Handle: 0x1000
        Error Information Handle: Not Provided
        Total Width: 64 bits
        Data Width: 64 bits
        Size: 1024 MB
        Form Factor: DIMM
        Set: None
        Locator: DIMM_B
        Bank Locator: Not Specified
        Type: DDR
        Type Detail: Synchronous
        Speed: 266 MHz (3.8 ns)
        Manufacturer: Not Specified
        Serial Number: Not Specified
        Asset Tag: Not Specified
        Part Number:

Next little project in the renovation of this notebook:  I'm going to
improve the CPU cooling using Thermaltake Arctic Silver thermal grease
between the CPU and cooling unit.  The current chip is "baked on"
because the original grease has become so overheated and dried.  This
makes me think that it may have lost some thermal conductivity.

--
freephile

believed to be clean.