Re: Problem upgrading memory on Dell Inspiron 5100

 Greg Rundlett wrote:
> I bought a couple memory modules from newegg for a Dell Inspiron 5100.
> Prior to installing the memory, I updated the BIOS from A06 to A32
> and seem to have no problems with the BIOS or function of the system.

So the system continues to work fine with the old memory modules?

> Memory modules:
> WINTEC AMPO 512MB 200-Pin DDR SO-DIMM

Have you confirmed that the specified voltage for the modules matches
your motherboard?

Have you confirmed that the actual chips on the modules are of a
supported type? As you may know, modules vary in the combination of
chips they use (trading off chip count and the bus width of the
individual chips). Some motherboards support only some configurations. A
simple sanity check might be counting the number of chips and comparing
that to known working modules (of the same size).

Perhaps WINTEC has changed their layout without changing any of the
other specs, which would explain why prior reports indicate that these
modules are compatible.

> The system starts the power on process and shuts down almost
> immediately without any screen message, no audible beeps or anything.

My expectation is that the POST tests require some RAM to run, so that's
the expected result if the modules are incompatible with your RAM bus
such that they're preventing any known working modules from operating.
You can confirm this by powering up the board with no RAM installed.

> Based on the fact that I have the proper BIOS installed and that the
> memory slots are known to work, I'd have to say the RAM is defective.

Defective or incompatible.

> But perhaps the problem is with the BIOS?

What reason do you have for that suspicion? You said the system
continues to operate normally after the upgrade. Do you suspect that the
upgrade didn't actually happen, and therefore the larger modules aren't
supported? I assume you can see a banner on bootup with the old RAM
showing the updated BIOS version. Given that the BIOS undergoes a
checksum, its unlikely that you've partially updated it. Or are you just
suspicious of the 3rd party claims that the BIOS version you're using
supports that module size?

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro