Re: Boot sectors/devices

 You don't actually need to re-install grub and in fact i've done that before
and it didn't actually fix the problem. Grub does however have a command
that is basically a fixmbr in windows jargon, but I can't remember off the
top of my head what is was. Every time I've done that i've done it from the
grub shell. The thing you get into when you just type in "#> grub".
Basically man grub was my friend for a while.

For the usb stick I would definitely run the command from the grub shell
just to see if there are any nasty things done to the USB stick like have
the first block locked down for some strange reason or any number of strange
tricky things. The fact that you tried to get your usb stick to boot and
ended up hosing your hard drive leads me to believe that things were not
happening the way you expected them to. Perhaps a good first step is to boot
into the rescue cd and getting your USB to boot and get grub on it and then
going from there. Perhaps even unpluging your hard drive to make 100% sure
that nothing is writing to it. It's extreme but that was just the easiest
way I found to not write to a drive when I didn't want to. Just my 2 cents.
~Ben