Re: Linus Geek of the Week

 On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 03:47:15PM -0400, [hidden email] wrote:
> I have mixed feelings about Linus. When all is said and done, the first
> version of Linux wasn't so hot. It took a lot of people a lot of work and
> a lot of time to make it good.

True about most things -- especially in software. Even more so
in the land of Free and Open Source software. The first public
release of software is often little more than an interesting proof of
concept. The exceptions are rate -- qmail and djbdns come to
mind.

> Also, where some people see that he has been a great administrator and
> guide for Linux, one could just point out there are a lot of people who
> could have done the same thing, and there's more about random chance and
> opportunity that this particular guy ended up doing it.

Yes, and the fact remains that he actually did it. There's lots
of value in that.

-dsr-

When freedom gets lots of exercise, it protects itself.

believed to be clean.