Re: Linus Geek of the Week

 [hidden email] wrote:
> I have mixed feelings about Linus. When all is said and done, the first
> version of Linux wasn't so hot. It took a lot of people a lot of work and
> a lot of time to make it good.

But, look what he started.

> Also, where some people see that he has been a great administrator and
> guide for Linux, one could just point out there are a lot of people who
> could have done the same thing, and there's more about random chance and
> opportunity that this particular guy ended up doing it.

Yes we could all do that.  How does it serve us to dwell on or even
consider it?

> I built my first computer over 33 years ago. I had "popular" shareware
> programs for Windows about 23 years ago. I helped the FSF move almost 2
> decades ago. I've had mediocre developer friends go on to become
> millionaires because they attended the "right" party. I've had friends who
> were simply amazingly smart, still, like us all, after all these years,
> working for a living and worried about the economy.

Some people gladhand.  Others work in the dark recesses, happy to be a
vital cog in the great wheel.  Some take it all far too personally:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/07/17/BAK111QRPB.DTL

In all, personal skills, preferences, politics and random circumstances
at work.

> Maybe I'm bitter, but I don't think so. I'm just old enough to have seen
> that a lot of life is a crap-shoot and while preparedness and skills help
> when you get opportunity, ground breaking opportunities don't always come
> your way. They don't come because you are smart. They don't come because
> only you could do it. They come because a number of unpredictable and
> uncontrollable factors came into place at a particular time, and someone
> who had no idea what was happening was able to run with it.

That's the nature of living.  But what is the measure of success?

> All that being said, the "perfect storm" of AT&T closing off UNIX, GNU not
> having or focusing on a kernel, MINIX being a toy, and a new public global
> network becoming popular (the internet) could have produced  a far worse
> figurehead.

It also produced Bill and a mountain of the most arrogant, self-centred,
overly-bright people on the planet.

> So, like so many before him, I think he was lucky to get there
> and have the luxury of being able to pursue it, he has done a pretty good
> job over the years.

Luck and hard work.  Foresight.  Knowing he was on to something.
Refusing to give up.  All solid attributes.  I suspect these are common
among the "successful".

/m

believed to be clean.