Re: Linux on the desktop - it's come a long way, but is it there yet?

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Mark J. Dulcey wrote:

> Jarod Wilson wrote:
>>
>> Ubuntu is unusual in other ways too.
>>
>> http://cycle-gap.blogspot.com/2008/07/linux-kernel-development-stats-from.html
>>
>> Note the part towards the end where Greg KH mentions Canonical's
>> contributions to the kernel.

Even if they never contribute code, if they bring in users, that helps us
all, because in the end it is more users that will bring better vendor
support.

Hardware support from vendors would be really great for lots of users. For
myself, I don't mind putting a supported PCI ethernet or Video card on a
server motherboard that isn't fully supported by Linux (or FreeBSD) but
many users do. (I have never run into a motherboard whose basic functions
weren't supported).

Daniel Feenberg